Tuesday, January 8, 2008

January Fun


Happy New School Year to all!

We have decided to start a "co-op" with just one other family, our kids' closest friends and my bestest homeschooling Mama friend ever. Their kids are 12, 7 and 3 and everyone gets along fabulously and we have decided to play for certain, every Tuesday. This is a welcome thing for me, as I am needing things to be very scheduled lately, or else I will just rest. I could give up anything for rest, even food, which always is a bad choice when pregnant. So, if there are plans then it helps me tremendously.
Yesterday we had them over for a meeting of the minds. Me and Trish and all 7 of our kids wrote on the dry-erase board everything that we want this co-op to be. We have readers, non readers, fans of all different types of activities and I was worried that the group would be more divided but everyone was just 100% enthusiastic. the ideas we have so far are roughly divided into "Things we are going to do at the house" and "Field trips"

Here was everything that the kids came up with:

Nature Center

Crafts

Science kit/Chemistry

Sculpey/Femo (oven drying clay)

Cooking

Insects

Experiments

Reading

Making Videos

Science Center

Library

Art Institute

Music

Nature Study

Sports

Another big part of this is the fact that we are starting our own "book club". After some mediocre to abysmal experiences with other book clubs in the past, we decided to do one on our own terms--after all, the spirit of the thing is to motivate kids to read--even ones who already like to read could always use a little boost to read MORE, right? We want something that gets us to the libraries (we want to see lots more of them in our library-loaning system, there are so many!) that gets us spending more time reading to and with the kids, and that gets the older ones to do more independent reading. Stickers, little trinkets, charts, and something "big" at the end like a pizza party or a gift certificate to a bookstore would be the grand prize at the end (June?) We are still thinking about all the details.

The first thing I want to do, that all the kids seemed "into" was a unit about the Wright Brothers and the beginning of aviation. We will start with some biography-style books from the library and then build some little planes and then maybe --hopefully--take a field trip to The Henry Ford museum and see the real deal. A Unit Study! Yay!

Well, the Christmas break from my work helped us get our house ALOT back on track and I am happy about that. We switched around our living room which I like to do when the xmas tree comes down, so it isnt so drastically "bare" and sad. I love the new setup and hope to keep it this way for a long time. The house looks bigger and we are facing the windows and the southern exposure of the sun that comes in here about 2 hours each afternoon...lovely!

Campfire Scouts started back up and the meeting went fairly smoothly I must admit! Trish and I, who are the leaders of the "Little Stars" group (age 6 and under) brought in big frozen bowls of ice and the children got to sprinkle rock salt on the ice and see how the crystals are formed and broken. Then we put food coloring on the melting/crackling ice and the color seeped down and illustrated the intricate ice patterns very well. We cut out some paper snowflakes, ate our snack and were on our way. Cool!

Its Girl Scout cookie time again, and business has been slow indeed. Greta has sold 2 boxes so far and says she wont go back if thats all she sells, so I hope Daddy and I dont have to buy 150 boxes ourselves this year...Steve is going to take the form in to his work, but he doesnt work at the kind of place where a ton of people buy a ton of cookies. But Greta is still in Girl Scouts, and tonight I have a meeting for Mickey's possible new Boy Scout troop! This is a very open and liberal troop and hopefully will work out for him. His best friend is going to be joining it and I think it is time for something disciplined and structured without me for Mickey. Its very cool that it will be on Tuesday nights because that is my ONE night I am free. It stinks though because that was the one night I could have prenatal appointments....although we might be able to do it on the weekends, or maybe late after Boy Scouts. But tonight is a parents meeting so I am anxious to go check it out.

Details to follow! How have you all been?

MamaJoy




3 comments:

Barbnocity said...

Happy New Year!! We are great!! Woo hoo!! Except for the part where we have to go back to work and school--ha ha ...

Speaking of things to do--another blogger told me that Macy's and some library's are giving out museum fun passes so you can go to different museum's for free--if I can find the link, I will send it to you, but I did see a big sign in front of the Detroit Public Library mentioning the museum fun pass!!

I am looking forward to starting up homeschool again, too--Simon started up math again yesterday and we talked about him picking subjects to study this summer or next fall once our family/school/work schedule works itself out a little better this summer (I hope!!)

I can't wait for girlscout cookies!! Tell Greta I need them now because I am out of Christmas chocolate!!

:) Barbnocity

Trish said...

I'm so excited!

So many fun things - and enthusiastic kids! Yea!
I'm hoping that Cub Scouts pans out to be cool. I just keep thinking "archery, bb guns, fires, ramps and cars.." what's not to like!? I still have issue with the organization's policies - whatever. It's not worth feeling guilt over!!

I have high hopes for a fun winter!

Oh, and you should have Greta take her cookie order form to Camp Fire. Last year Julia got several orders from the moms there - it can be Greta's turn this year :-) Good luck!

Kelley said...

I wish I was there so I could order cookies from Greta. We love, love, love the Samoas at our house. Can you order long-distance?