Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fun Thursday adventures!



Greta's little boat



Casey barrels downhill
Casey up the tree


Run, Greta, run!






Greta, Casey, Julia and Tommy













Scarlet Oak was dull :(
All 7 children!





Whee!











Today was my kind of homeschoolin' day. We got up, ate, pulled the house together: breakfast dishes in the sink, table all wiped down, beds made, floor swept, checked email, baby re-changed and re-dressed, kids dressed, teeth and hair brushed, shoes located and tied, and out of here by 10:45 in the morning to go to an awesome nature center kind of far away with our friends' minivan following us, with a pit stop at little Caesars for 10 dollar lunch that fed 9 people quite well, saw cool animals, played with puzzles and did little nature-fact quizzes, 3 kids had bikes, 2 had strollers, walked on a trail in the woods alongside a creek, made little "boats" out of bark and leaves, played pooh-sticks, climbed a log bridge, laughed with our friends, tried new things like climbing way up in a pine tree and getting covered with burs, raced down the hill sharing 3 bikes with 5 riders, searched for our beloved scarlet oak trees only to find them vaguely brownish this year, took tons of pictures, left on a good note before any injury or melt-down, stopped at Meijer's on the way home and got 2 days worth of groceries, most of them quite healthy items, got home by 5:15 and cut up fruits and veggies and all the kids started playing nicely with their toys while I sat for a minute before cooking dinner.

THIS is what I want to do almost everyday!

When I get my coveted double jogging stroller, this kind of stuff will be even more manageable. If you don't understand why, just come along with us sometime on an outing like this one! Broken wheels, broken saftey clips, no under storage, purses and blankets and drinks all being tipped and falling out of every nook and cranny of the old beat up regular strollers, the thrift store "jogger" I got a few months ago that shuts on the baby and is rigged with velcro...maybe with my first check from my new night job I will finally get to buy this golden ticket to smooth and less frustrating outings, especially of the outdoor variety! I look forward to more nature centers, metroparks, museums and maybe the zoo sometime soon. This was a super nice day.

It is 6:30 and Casey is almost ready for bed. Steve gets home at 8 tonight and then I am going in to work for a few hours. Busy busy happy happy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it was SOOOO much fun!!!! thanx for the pics!!!

Kelley said...

Are you still coming to Iowa next month? I can't wait to talk to you, and pick your brain for homeschooling ideas. Ours is a bit like unschooling for the moment. I don't want to it to stay that way, but.... well, I could make a bunch of excuses, but I won't.

Trish said...

Such a great day! Michigan in autumn is so beautiful!

I think it's wonderful for the kids to get outside to run and jump and climb and just be outside!