Tuesday, September 2, 2008

They liked it! And I am still a mother! : )

Hi all.

the kids had a blast today on their first day of school. A genuine blast. They loved their teachers, they had so much fun, they were super happy to see me and the little ones, and they had cool stuff in their new backpacks. It was only a 1/2 day, so it was a cool "trial run", but they honestly had a really good time.



Steve and I overshot it on getting ready...we were all bored and ready about 45 minutes before we had to be : ) but it was fine.



As I walked home with Charlie and Eska, it was odd. I didnt really know what to think. I was trying to re-imagine back in the day when Greta and Mickey were all I had, but that made me feel really sad/nostalgic, so I just decided to not do much of anything. We played with tangrams a little, I nursed the baby alot, we made a batch of cookies, (pre-made dough, don't get too impressed!) and then we went back to pick up the kids at 11:20. Being in different grades, they all had different entry/exit doors, but we all found each other and it was all good. They were super super happy and excited and we got home to our lunch and our air conditioning (It was 90 today!)



One sucky thing: while waiting for Casey to come out, I was holding the baby and I stepped backwards and there was nothing there, and I fell hard onto the parking blocks/concrete. (I took a hard fall about 5 weeks ago and injured my shoulder and knee so this was a scary flashback...I was holding the baby that time, too!)

I screamed, someone took the baby, I got up, and I acted like I was fine, but my right ankle turned badly and my knees both bled through my jeans as well as my elbow : (



I was very excited to turn the twice daily walk to school into some exercises and now cant even bear weight on my right foot. Twinkle toes, hmm? When you are six foot one and have no core muscles whatsoever, I guess that makes you an instable structure, huh? I feel like one and worry alot. I am so glad the baby is fine, again, but I wish I could take her to a chiropractor, taking such hard falls cant be cool.



Tomorrow is their first full day and I realized very much that I am still a mother. Might sound silly but I felt like 'I was giving my children up for adoption or they were moving out or something. Truly. but here we are, fighting over video game controllers and begging for juice boxes, same as ever, and I feel very very glad.

5 comments:

Kelley said...

Ugh on the fall. So you're impersonating a 6-year-old with skinned up knees and elbows now, huh? :)

I'm so glad the kids had a good time. That makes all the difference. I was going to call you anyway to find out how everything went, but you beat me to it.

I had a homeschool mutiny on my hands this morning. We made it through some reading, but Matt absolutely refused to do math and phonics today. Oh well, we'll see how things go tomorrow. Any suggestions for encouraging reticent children to cooperate?

Sgt Howie said...

Ouch, sorry about the fall! Hope you're feeling better.

It's great to hear the kids all liked their new school. I know what a tough decision it was to send them. I am excited for them and happy you can have a few hours a day with a slightly reduced workload!

Sarah said...

So glad to read that things are starting off well!!

Judit said...

Mother you are, Joy. :)

and: ouch, sorry. What kind of evil poltergeist is following you around tripping you up like that?!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.