Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Wednesday the 26th





Here is that book--hope it isn't illegal to show it or whatever...















Here is the elephant you can make.














Here are the frog and fox you can make.



















Here is an underwater scene to work on.














I absolutely love when little ones quietly play trains. Something about it is so sweet and sincere.
















We worked on more of the book Owl Moon today, and talked about "Aerial View". Greta is showing her anthill from three different perspectives. Mickey drew pretzels!













Then we did a bar graph about the amount if sunlight versus dark hours there are in the different seasons.
















The kids worked really hard on them, adding colors and symbols and I was really pleased.








No pics of Casey today--I am out of batteries again! But he stayed in my bed at naptime, watching TV on very low volume. He didn't sleep, but he rested, and thanks to cable and dvr, he wasn't watching all those little princess/little combat commander commercials, hehe.

This work-up of the book Owl Moon has made me a solid fan of Five In A Row. I really am going to stick with this "curriculum". I have already learned alot about the benefits of reading a book more than once--and I don't think we could ever really do all that they give you in just one week. We are completely happy to meander through the activities. Today we did three of them; Aeriel View, Science of Owls, and Hours of Darkness and Light. Owl Moon is a lovely book, but not one that I would have ever gotten "all into". But now I am! I think it might make me a better reader, and I KNOW that it will make the kids better readers.

The Author of Five In A Row really worked hard on this curriculum. It isn't complete, and it needs supplementation--by that, I mean it doesn't have much basic math, etc. But it is a lovely springboard that is working well for us. I really, really like it.

8 comments:

Kelley said...

I'm looking for some ideas for kidschool, and this sounds like a great idea. Did you find it on the Internet? I love those graphs your kids did.

Housefairy said...

Yes, they have a website, http://www.fiarhq.com/

Check it out, its really nice.

Housefairy said...

Assuming you were asking about Five In A Row...

As far as the leaf book, it was just a book at the library that caught my eye! And the other activities were my own spin off of the things in Five In A Row.

kris said...

too cool! i am going to look into 5 in a row for next year.

and hey, i was looking, we have a few other things in common, we're homeschoolers, live in MI, been married for the same years and i thikn we're the same age...fun!

Housefairy said...

Kris! Thats awesome! Maybe we could meet someday :)

Trish said...

It has always sounded like an absolutely charming program - FIAR, I mean. The very first people I met in real life who homeschooled (not including family members) used this with their little girl and I thought it was amazing!

And thanks for sharing the leaf book. Now how do you keep your pictures from turning all brown and crumbly? Now I want to go collect some leaves!

Housefairy said...

Well, I must be honest and say that the leaf-preserving techinique as suggested by the book has been somewhat of a dissapointment. The author said to take fresh leaves, and soak them in water for a few minutes, then to lay out 2 layers of newspaper, two layers of paper towel, then lay the leaves flat on the paper towel. Then add 2 more layers of paper towel on top of the leaves, 2 more layers of newspaper on top of that, and then cover the whole thing with heavy books and let it set for A WEEK.

What??!! In my secret leaf-pressing garage, I suppose!? Where do we have a huge space to do this for a week?
( We did let this take over our kitchen floor for 2 days and we peeked inside and the leaves were dull and dry so we scrapped round one.)

So, I don't know. All I ever did as a child and when Greta was little, was to pick them freshly fallen or (secretly right off the tree), and get them home as quickly as possible to iron in between 2 pieces of wax paper, waxed side in towards the leaf, with an iron on very low heat. When done properly, the color remains bright forever. We used to mail them to my Auntie who lives in Arizona and we knew that although she loves her beautiful climate there, she must miss the colored falls of her Michigan childhood. So we mailed her some wax-paper leaves 2 years in a row. We should do it again this year...

Unknown said...

Singapore Maths is AWESOME, my two oldest started on it a few months back and we LOVE it!

I'd love to try Five-in-a-row...maybe that would be a good thing to do after the new baby arrives next March...

Speaking of babies...I've had 3 c-sections and am hoping for a vaginal birth this time round...so I really enjoyed your breastandbelly blog!

Love your blogs! Keep up the good work!

Ang
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/AngtheFLYingKiwi/