Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday: Homeschool Co-Op

I loved it! The kids loved it! Yay!

Today we started day one of our weekly homeschool classes/co-op. Greta is enrolled in a class called Science and Writing Through Great Books, and there is a lot of prep work. She did all of it and enjoyed the 2 hour course. she got to dissect a real starfish and did a lot of very junior high level stuff. They are reading Kipling's Just So Stories, The Island of The Blue Dolphins, The Secret Garden, and one other book. The teacher is a homeschool mom of 5, a medical student, and very cool person.

Mickey had a class called Tales of Wonder, which is a language arts course. They are reading poems, and a few other classics.

Casey and Charlie and Eska and I hung out in a little room and they played really nicely with the other little kids and with toys. Then we had lunch which we brought from home, but we can buy it there we just didnt know...and then I did my co-op duty which was cleaning after lunch and then we left....but Greta remained behind to take Art History and then the teacher brought her home since they live nearby.

Very fun! I met a cool mom who is expecting her fourth girl, and got to chat with my Trish : ) and with an old friend whom I have missed. it was as warm and friendly and cozy and welcoming as could be.

Next Friday Greta has a class called metric math, and Mickey has Math Games. Them Casey and Charlie have Watercolors class. Should be darling!

Greta has a HUGE report and presentation due in 2 weeks.

I think this is perfect. Once a week. Pictures soon!

3 comments:

Rixa said...

I love reading about your daily activities, since I'm always curious what you do when you're homeschooling. I love the idea of a 1x/week school like that--gives kids some structure, helps them work on goals and projects. But it's not a daily grind kind of thing where you're in class all day every day. Sounds great!

Sgt Howie said...

I loved "The Island of The Blue Dolphins" as a kid! It's cool to know kids are still reading it.

Kelley said...

The inspiration is continuing. I SOOO want to be able to make homeschooling work again for us, and this is helping. Thank you. I, too, like the idea of hitting it hard once a week. Okay, Kelley, pace yourself.