Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday: field trip

Today we went to Jungle Java--this is an amazingly fun place that truly must have been invented by a mom. It is basically a playscape--a HUGE one, that is surrounded by a carpeted plush-armchaired-leather sofa atmosphere that serves coffee, healthy stuff like pita wraps and salads and little kid treats like cheese and apples and goldfish crackers.

The last time we went I met a bunch of other homeschooling moms from my area! It was so cool! They were talking about breastfeeding and swapping little Waldorfy cookbooks--I knew we would hit it off and we did. They wanted to know whose awesome kid made up "Lets Hide From the Government" game that had every child in the place all quiet....it was my Greta and we were fast friends! I felt a little weird just plunking myself down in the middle of their lady hang out but they seemed to not mind me so it felt like I knew them forever.....well, they were there again today! I was kind of hoping that it was them, I saw some Birth Is Normal bumper sticker in the parking lot and had a ray of hope ;)

the kids run and play for HOURS--even mopey (lately) Mickey and sophisticated (lately) Greta are running and climbing and squealing and crashing back to my happy place in the big soft armchair with my Eska-Bean-A tucked into her happy nursey land, begging me for pop--free refills--one buck keeps us hydrated all afternoon!

It was a wonderful visit. I met FOUR women who had homebirths recently, so the movement is alive and well in my area, although I only had heard of two of the midwives, one lady had a U/C and the others were new names. Interesting. I am not in a head space to get back into all that but I was happy to see so many nursing Mamas and hear homebirth as such a common choice.

I love Thursdays as our outing days. Next Thursday we are going to go visit my mom!

3 comments:

Kelley said...

That place sounds AWESOME! Totally amazing. I'd love to be able to find a bunch of like-minded moms like that.

Judit said...

Aaaw so cool -- all I can say is, Where's MY jungle java? So jealous. If I were an entrepreneur type, that's what I'd do, open a cafe where moms can bring kids, to escape from cabin fever in the winter, yeah, especially toddlers and/or rambunctious ones. I once got so desperate (and believe me I had to have been very very desperate) as to bring them to a McDonald's with a playscape. No, we didn't consume anything. But that's how impossible it is around here.
Good for you Joy I hope you'll make some good friends there!

Unknown said...

If McDonalds playscape is desperate, call me the Desperado! We go there ALOT. It is a well maintained indoor park with food and a restroom with changing tables and soap, no bees, no dog poop, no homeless guy...well usually not.
I hereby decree that there is no shame in the McDonalds playscape. If youre a health nut get a salad and apple dippers. Otherwise, have some delicious fries and seriously enjoy the purple slide and red tube and blue tunnel and bring yr camera and ok... hand sanitizer!