Friday, May 25, 2007

What we did while Greta was gone today

Reading time
ok just random toothless pic
Today while Greta was on her trip, we came back home and the boys read some books together. It was very sweet. Casey turned antsy way before Charlie and proclaimed "I can't read!" which was interesting...I told him that Charlie is reading by just looking at the books, and that he can learn how to read with the letters and their sounds. He was intrigued for the first time. Then during lunch he wanted to write his name, also a first. He wrote "C" and "A" and then asked me to write the rest, which he told me was "S-E-Y".
Cool.
More fuel for my theory that kids advance in leaps and stops and that they all end up vaguely the same "level" (hate that word) no matter how they got there. Whats funny is that Greta and Mickey were all into ABC, 123, and all that jazz since they were crawling babies. I pounded it into them, they seemed to love it, etc. Casey hated any and all attempts at what I thought being a good mommy is about from almost birth. No, he doesn't want to play clappy songs, no raspberries on the belly, no he won't make you a stick picture that says MAMA with a little happy face heart, no mary had a little lamb, no peek a boo, no baby books, no jack in the box,but he'd sure enjoy a hammer, saw, knife, toolbox, duct tape, super glue, sharpie marker, 10 foot ladder....real keys real money real access to reality NOW.
So I thought well here will be my first child who does not talk at 9 months, talk in sentances at 18 months, recognize and name colors and shapes and letters and numbers at 20 months....
but here he is, at the EXACT age that Greta and Mickey were, "almost 4", wanting to write.
He was also early and easy to potty train, being "grown up" as his theme did help.
I dont know. Youre not supposed to compare your kids, but why not? If there isn't any mean spiritedness to it, how can you not? Dont you compare food, music, neighbors, dogs, sunsets?
Casey wants to read and write. Too cool. I will never worry about the children and how they are coming along ever again. hahahahaha

No comments: