Monday, July 23, 2007

good times, gym dreams

All of the work I have been doing this summer is all really starting to feel like it is all going to work out....oh boy oh boy oh boy I am excited! I have a couple of math books I am going to be ordering online this year with the kids, something caled Singapore math, and I still need to order the 5th grade level of FiveInArow, but if for some reason I dont/cant order it by September we still have lots in the "regular" FiveInARow book that is not too "young" for Greta to do with Mickey.

Casey has decided he wants to learn how to read, so that would be awesome---although I do not have any real experience in "teaching" somehow how to read, I think it would be great. If nothing, we will be spending lots of time learning the letters and what sounds they make, and how to write. So far he knows his name is "C-A-S-E-Y" and he knows "O" and "X" and a few others. Should be interesting....
Dear Charlie is immersed in the atmosphere of all this talk and already goes up to any letters or numbers in his life such as toys and puzzles and macaroni boxes and says "a-o-a-o-a" and so who knows, maybe he will be the youngest of them all, he even colors quite purposefully and stuff which at this age my others kids were mostly using crayons as delicious snacks and/or wall decorating devices :)

We have a sunroom/playroom thing in our house which we have enjoyed as a recreation room so far during the (almost one whole!)year that we have lived here. We have TV, video games, stereo, piano, some toys and some rugs in there. But we have a new plan for this room which I am ecstatic about: We are going to be turning it into a GYMNASIUM!

We are going to take out everything electronic, all the carpeting, and fill it somehow with teeter totters, Nerf sports equipment, baskets and balls and little slides and hopefully, it will be a wild and wonderful indoor park of sorts for us to enjoy no matter the weather! My dream is that the kids (especially the 3 little boys, lets be honest) will have a place to go get crazy in when I am doing school one on one with someone else, when it is cold, rainy, or anytime really when it is not possible for us ALL to go to a park. I would like to look into the price of covering the floor with a rubbery industrial floor mat type of substance.




Here are some of the kinds of things I would love to fill the room with:








4 comments:

Beth said...

Good idea. In one of those HonorYourBoyandHisFeelings books, I can't remember which one, it talks about how boys need their physicality to be respected and how come we will rearrange our whole house and life for our toddler, but not when that toddler grows to be 7 or 10 and still needs room to move.

Unknown said...

I really am trying to HonorMyBoyAndHisFeelings :), but I would LOVe to read any books of that kind that you have.

Thank you for supporting my idea. I feel that this idea, and planning for it with Mickey mostly, which has sprung out of a genuine guilt at my homeschooled kids not having "gym" class, has really gained me some honorable 'cred with him.

Trish said...

I'll be keeping my eye out for cool gym toys at garage sales for you! I know I've gotten many of our outdoor toys that way!

Housefairy said...

Thank you SO much! I appreciate it!
I found so much on craigs list and they people never email me back.

I havent been to a single garage sale this year. I never have cash, I worry that all of the kids will want to come out of the car, bla its too hard.

I need to go by myself, on weekends. Now I have a mission.