Friday, July 27, 2007

Rude and lame

A friend of mine, who is an awesome and cool Mom to an awesome and cool homeschooled 12 year old friend of Greta's told me this story the other day:

The 2 of them were shopping at Costco, and the checkout lady said, "why aren't you in school today?" to the girl.

The girl proudly and cheerfully said "I'm homeschooled!" to which the cashier responded, "Oh. Well, do you, like, have friends, or anything?"

The mom said, "Well, we let her out of her closet a couple times a week to get some sunshine--and to come to your store."

!!!!

Do you love it?

(If this story is causing you to scratch your head, you may have not personally experienced the phenomenon that is the scandalous and audacious appearing in public during the daytime hours, between September and June, with a child who is old enough to be out of the grocery cart)

Makes me wanna reprioritize the buying of this T Shirt




3 comments:

kris said...

i want that shirt!! i stumbled across your birth blog and as i am a homeschooling-doula in training thought i'd look around here. luv it:) we thankfully have had no negatives like that in public, altho we do endure it within some of our family.....thanx for writing;)

Trish said...

Ha! Ha! Love the response from the mom!

My kids get that ALL the time because we do all our running around during the school day to avoid the crowds.

Julia doesn't like to carry her "Home school Kid" book bag because she's sick of people asking her about it all the time.

I love the shirt! I've been saying for months now that I need to get transfer paper for our printer (of course then I have to get ink, too!) so I can make our own t-shirts with "subversive" sayings :-) I might have to borrow this one!

Housefairy said...

Hee hee!
I knew you'd all appreciate that one!

I have wanted to makie Tshirts forever, but yeah, once it gets to the "buying ink" part I just peeter out. I look forward to the day when printer ink is cheaper.

Cafe Press has a thing where you can upload anything you make like on PAINT or anything at all and they will make you a shirt or stick or cup or whatnot...I have a Homeschool Is Love Tshirt that turned out really well.