Monday, July 30, 2007

RIP

Henry, the Uromastyx lizard we have known and loved for only a few short weeks, has DIED!

I am done. I am completely drained by the experience of little pets keeling over dead. Today I will go so far as to say I hate all little pets, and the gripping fear that each time I look into their cage they will just be shockingly, suddenly, dead.

Go on ahead, think we have too much on our plates, think we probably shouldnt have gotten so many animals, imagine that we didnt take care of him. I have been told this before and I dont know what to think. Of course we cleaned him of course we fed and watered him of course we played with him and bought him little vitamins and a 20 dollar heatlamp and lava stones and special greens. just like all the other animals.

I like children and dogs and cats and bunnies, too. They seem very likely to be alive in the morning.

As far as fish tanks, little rodents, exotic reptiles and amphibians, praying mantises, pet worms, my pal the pillbug, and even precious, precious birds---my most beloved animal on Earth---I just cant flipping take it anymore.

I harden my heart to all of it.

I also will not be saying yes to anymore animals. I will be that mom who scruches up her face in the big pet store and says, "yeah, he's really cute, honey but noooooo way are we doing all that again",

and the child will think I am mean

and they will swear it wont happen again

and i will still say no

and they child wont understand

and we will leave with no new pet

and i wont have to have the fear and horror that is peering into the little cages to say goodmorning and seeing, you know, death.

Rest In Peace, cool Henry that was suppossed to live 15 to 20 years. I can't shake the feeling that we suck and did something very bad. But I really really don't know what. He was alive and silly last night.

7 comments:

Sgt Howie said...

Wow, that was unexpected. We were just talking about him last night! Very sorry to hear.

Housefairy said...

No doubt. (Thank you)

Trish said...

Oh, how awful. How is Greta taking it?

kris said...

ah, that sucks. hope your kids are ok. we are decidedly a non-pet family. one kid is allergic to cats, one to dogs and besides fish, which always die on us, we haven't been brave enough to try anything....

Kelley said...

I grew up with cats, but we haven't been brave enough to try pets either. I'm sorry to hear about Henry.

Housefairy said...

I have been bawling...out of guilt and stress and just all of it. Fear of who will be dead tomorrow? But Greta has been pretty normal. I dont know what that means, but I feel guilty at noit being strong for her and then I cry more. (This is suppossed to be my mentally-stable week of the month! Rip off!)

I just live in constant fear of this and it happened and I cant take it. You'd think he was my dog for 10 years. Its not that. Its all of it, I guess.

We went to the store and got the frogs new crickets and ascertained that they were all well. SIGH. Somebody scrape me off the ceiling today.

Trish said...

I think it's good for the kids to see you crying and upset by the death of a pet. I spent a day bawling over our sick rat, and I think it showed the kids that it's okay to be compassionate and normal to let it out when you're feeling miserable.

I can't take the stress of non-domesticated animals! We have a dog, a cat, foster kittens, rats and a rabbit. I could do without the rats and the rabbit! They're domesticated, but just barely. No "exotic" animals for me! I couldn't take the worry.

I wish the best for the frogs. I hope you'll be able to relax and enjoy them some. Just remind Greta that the silly sounding cry is really a distress cry that they make when they're terrified. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Love and hugs to you all!