Friday, March 9, 2007

almost spring walk










Yesterday we went on a walk. It was not warm, there was snow all over the place, but it felt springish. Yeah I said it. There is something going on springish. Birds are singing me awake now, there are a few buds on a few trees, and I think it is almost time to get a little bit excited about this.


Charlie was in the stroller and the rest of us walked. We crossed over the big street by us and went meandering around and went to a park for about 1 minute. When we stopped walking it was too cold. But we had a nice time. We killed an hour--the most evil hour of the day-345-445pm and that was worth the pile of wet boots and semi-ruining my fake converse with mud. Just to leave the house at what seemed "mid-day" and to come back at "dinner time". Like a time warp, surviving that witching hour is HUGE for people living with children.


We have done so many things in the years past to survive 4 oclock. When moms of school kids are probably having some joyful reunion and fun-times snack, I have been known to be drinking (coffee....)in the bathroom. Because it has a lock.
We have had "Four OClock Freak Out" where I actually encourage them to run around and scream and shout and jump! This is to break the strain of being quiet for all the naps, to get out the screamies and jumpies before Daddy gets home, to acknowledge how we all seem to feel at this time of day, and to be a nice mom instead of....the other kind.
We try all kinds of things to make it through. But it is a great great time for a daily walk, no doubt.
We ate dinner and immediately did the big movie night. It was very cool. We watched Make Mine Music, a 40's disney collection that is really cool. LOVE that music, the swing, the jazz, the pre-rock n roll, the samba and Casey At The Bat.




3 comments:

Hawksbill said...

Nice pictures!

We're trying to teach Simon how to use the calendar so we wrote "Spring Begins" on the 21st. He's very excited.

I'm excited too... I told him that on the 22nd it should be warm enough for us to go to the beach and play in the water. It will be, won't it?

Kelley said...

I love your ideas for the witching hour. My oldest is in school right now (1st grade), but I have plans to bring him home soon. 4:00 is the witching hour anyway. I really like your idea to run around screaming and yelling and just letting the steam off. I love your blog.

Housefairy said...

HAHAHA
Remember our Autumn Equinox parties?...the kids alwasy wanted to do spring equinox party and I had to break it to them that noone probably wanted to sit in the middle of our snowy backyard under some frozen black trees and pretend they were anything except...still experiencing winter in Michigan!

I love putting actual pics on the blog, now--kiss sweet Simon and Gwen from me (and then tell them spring will come on June 1st and last until June 10th. Just like everyear.)